Way back in January, I set some goals for myself for the year:
- Get an agent (which means stop picking at my novel and just send it out already).
- Finish my already-started novel, A Handful of Wishes.
- Have at least fifteen stories out on submission at any given time.
- Get in shape, and then stay in shape.
- Learn how to neatly and nicely-looking lattice a pie.
- Date a rockstar (doesn’t matter who).
I briefly followed up on them in April. The year is now roughly half over, so I’m back to take another look.
- Get an agent – I’ve sent out a bunch of queries, and I need to send out more. I’m considering the small press route instead, and I need to look into that more closely and send out queries.
- Finish A Handful of Wishes – August is Camp NaNoWriMo, and I’m going to try to make a good-sized dent in this story once and for all, then maybe hammer the rest out for the real NaNoWriMo in November.
- Have at least fifteen stories out for submission – currently I’m at two. But in my defense, I’ve had five stories accepted so far this year, almost one a month (“Bardo Bureaucracy,” “The Futility of Loving a Soldier,” “Hope for Change,” “Riding the Rails,” and “Of Gods and Floods“). I have quite a few I’m polishing or finishing up, and a couple more sitting around to be sent out. I should be able to get this number up to at least ten without too much effort.
- Get in shape – Towards the end of the school year I was chasing students all over the damn school (my classroom was in the basement and I routinely made 5-8 trips to the top floors, which is .2 miles round trip), so I’m not doing too bad with this.
- Pies – I can’t even remember the last time I made a pie. Oops.
- Date a rockstar – I know a guy who plays the guitar. Does that count as progress?
Overall, I’m not doing too bad, at least for the writing stuff. I’m making progress and staying mostly focused, which I think is the most important part of having year-long goals.
If you’re a writer, what are your goals for the next few months? If you set goals for yourself at the beginning of the year, how are you doing with them?