Once again, it’s time for my quarterly check-in to see how I’m doing with the goals I set for myself in January.
I’m still adjusting to my new-ish job. Someone quit when they moved, so I’m picking up an extra shift every week for the next I-don’t-even-know how long. Which means 50 hours, over 4 days. Sometimes it’s slow and I have some free time to write or crochet or read or whatever, but for the most part life right now consists of work, sleep, and loading and unloading my dishwasher. As you can see, my annual goals don’t really fit into that very well.
- Continue to publish and promote my Heartsbane Saga series. I’m still picking away on edits on books 1.5, 2.5 (which has to come out before book 3), 3 (which has to be edited to match book 2.5), and now book 3.5.
- Publish something at least twice a week. I’m at 29 stories published on Medium so far in 2021, which is just over one a week. I serialized the first Heartsbane Saga story, “The Maiden in the Tower,” into 7 parts, but even excluding that I’m not doing bad for this. Aim for the stars, still on top of the world, and all that Pitbull jazz. I’m also looking into a series for Amazon’s new Vella thing, which would bump this number up too.
- Marketing. I have several things on my radar, as soon as I get another Heartsbane book or two out. September, maybe?
- Travel travel travel. Now here is somewhere I’m exceeding my goal. Since my last update, at the end of May I went to Rapids City, SD, and eastern Wyoming to hike around the Badlands and Black Hills (and tried Runza in Nebraska for the first time, after driving past them for years. Verdict: okay). Then the next weekend, I headed up to Bemidji, MN, to vanlife around the Frigid Northlands (and eat pasties), but it was almost 100F so I headed over to cooler North Dakota instead. Last weekend, I picked my kid up from his aunt’s in Kansas City, MO, so I’d have an excuse to go back to that German restaurant in Wichita I ate at in February, and then head to Oklahoma City to get some more goat sausage for ravioli. I’m hoping to squeeze in another weekend trip in early August, and then in the middle of that month I’m heading to Hawaii for a week, where I plan to make myself sick eating fresh pineapples and lychee smoothies daily.
- Continue to Marie Kondo the shit outta my life. My current project is my office, and specifically the yarn that covers every surface. My problem here is that every time I sort through a box of it, I get sidetracked by starting a new project with every skein. I have a couple craft shows planned for this year, so at least the projects aren’t wasted (assuming I finish them).
- Read 100 books. I haven’t made much progress with this since the last check-in; I’m currently at 28 books (26 behind schedule). I’m looking forward to spending some time reading on the beach next month, to try to catch up.
Wow! I don’t know how you get it all done!
We’re planning a trip out west (I’m in PA). We bought a van, been looking for the right one for a couple of years now–as long as we’ve been planning this trip. I’d hoped to wait until I retire, but medical things came up that pushed this all ahead. So, for a tad over two weeks we’ll be on the road, trying to cover a lot of ground. Rapid City is one of the places we’ll pass through. Rushmore. Pike’s Peak. Hoover Dam, Vegas, Grand Canyon. Sequoias. Four corners, Painted Desert. Petrified Forest. Maybe the Pacific Ocean. Maybe Vegas. My husband had surgery yesterday. the doc, bless his heart moved it up two weeks to try to help us keep our trip on schedule. Because of the surgery, this is turning into much more of a drive-by trip than a get out and explore trip. It all still hinges on how well my husband recovers from this surgery. Anyway, thought of you when I was planning our trip. I know ho0w you like to do van-life exploring. :-)
Comments are closed.