- 11 were either kids or young adult; the rest were adult.
- 9 were nonfiction and the rest were fiction.
- 20 were single short stories (yes, I realize it’s cheating to include those), and 12 were short story anthologies.
- I know the authors of 27 of the books; 8 of them are also with my publisher, Evolved.
- Only 16 were books that randomly caught my eye on a library shelf or website; the rest were either recommended or written by someone I know.
- 17 were by Lindsay Buroker.
Best books I read in 2012:
- Lindsay Buroker’s Emperor’s Edge series (7 books, plus some short stories): A steampunk/fantasy series about assassins and intrigue that’s really just a lot of fun. Plus the first one is free.
- Butter by Erin Jade Lange (who’s originally from my hometown, but I don’t know her – although I found out that she’s an ex-girlfriend of my high school best friend’s husband): a YA book about an obese kid who gains popularity when he announces his plans to kill himself live on the internet
- Strange Pilgrims: a book of short stories by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
If you challenged yourself to read a set number of books in 2013, how did you end up doing? What were your favorites? Anything you particularly disliked?