Day G of the 2013 Blogging from A to Z April challenge. Today’s topic: goals review.
Each year I set goals for myself, and every three months I review my progress.
- Publish my novel, The Lone Wolf.
- Average a short story acceptance each month, with the majority of them in paying markets.
- Put out a short story collection.
- Get another novel ready to query.
- Read 100 books this year
- Kayak the entire length of the Hennepin Canal.
So far this year, I’m off to a pretty good start.
- A full manuscript of The Lone Wolf was requested by a publisher after I queried them, and it’s currently in review.
- I’ve only had one acceptance so far this year, “Us, Together” which was published in Fiction365, on Mar 27, but it was a paying market. I pulled a bunch of my stories from the submission queue in order to include them in my upcoming collection, so I’m down to just seven to send out. I have several dozen started and ideas for a dozen more, so maybe I can get some finished during next month’s Story-A-Day Challenge. Because forcing myself to write under a deadline has worked so well for me in the past.
- I have a short story collection, The Futility of Loving a Soldier, set for release on Memorial Day; I just need to finish one story and edit another. And I have the stories all lined up for another collection I’d like to release for Christmas; 3 are finished which leaves just 14 to go.
- I’ve been focusing on short stories so I haven’t been working on novels much. Last year’s NaNo needs an overhaul; maybe once this short story collection’s done I’ll spend the summer working on polishing a novel.
- So far I’m at 26, which according to Goodread’s tracker is where I should be. I have a bunch of books on my Kindle app, and I’ve been trying to read some of those when there’s a lull at work.
- Spring is just now making an appearance; I’m not hardcore enough to kayak in cold, crappy weather.
If you’re a writer, what are your goals for the rest of the year? If you set goals for yourself at the beginning of the year, how are you doing with them?